MELSERVO J2 Super
MELSERVO J2 Super is a servo system product series by Mitsubishi Electric, which offers high-quality performance products. This servo system series includes high-resolution encoders and highly efficient central processing units (CPUs). Controllers in these systems can be tuned easily. The overall performance can be diagnosed via a monitor and machine simulation, and it can also be used for analytic purposes even before installing a motor. System parameters can be calculated automatically. The MELSERVO J2 Super product series has numerous models that vary slightly in electrical and hardware specifications. Not all models are compatible with all series of motors. All models of servo amplifiers, respective options of motors, and considerable specifications are discussed to make the selection process easy.
Types of Servo Amplifiers
General Purpose Interface: MR-J2S-_ A
Models of this series are MR-J2S- A, MR-J2S- A1, and MR-J2S-_ A4. These servo amplifiers come with various interfacing options including pulse train, analog, DIO (digital input/output), and multi-drop RS-422. Anyhow, these general-purpose interface amplifiers do not support SSCNET or CC-Link interfacing. Amplifiers from this series can control position, speed, and torque. Few models are capable of operating with fully closed loop controllers. These amplifiers do not perform positioning functions.
- MR-J2S-_ A works with a 3-phase, 200 VAC power supply, and has a capacity of 0.05 to 37 kW. It is compatible with motors belonging to the HC-KFS, HC-MFS, HC-SFS, HC-LFS, HC-RFS, HA-LFS, and HC-UFS series.
- MR-J2S-_ A1 amplifiers work with a single-phase power supply with a voltage of 100 VAC. The capacity of these amplifiers ranges between 0.05 and 0.4 kW. These amplifiers can be used with the HC-KFS, HC-MFS, and HC-UFS series of motors.
- MR-J2S-_ A4 also works with a 3-phase power supply rated at 400 VAC. Its capacity lies between 0.05 and 55 kW. Motors from the HC-SFS and HA-LFS series can be used with these amplifiers.
SSCNET Compatible: MR-J2S-_ B
Amplifiers from the MR-J2S- B family can work with high-speed serial buses. In other words, its compatibility with SSCNET is this series’ highlighting feature. These amplifiers also incorporate Digital Inputs/Outputs as the way for interfacing. Few of its models can also work with a fully closed loop controller under specific conditions. Models belonging to this series include the MR-J2S- B, MR-J2S- B1, and the MR-J2S- B4.
- MR-J2S-_ B works with 3-phase power supplies with a voltage rating of 200 VAC. These amplifiers have a rated power ranging from 0.05 to 37 kW and can be used with motors from the HC-KFS, HC-MFS, HC-SFS, HC-LFS, HC-RFS, HA-LFS, and HC-UFS series.
- MR-J2S-_ B1 operates with a single-phase power supply with a rated voltage of 100 VAC. Its power is rated from 0.05 to 0.4 kW. Motors from the HC-KFS, HC-MFS, and HC-UFS series can work with these amplifiers.
- MR-J2S-_ B4 can work with motors from the HC-SFS and HA-LFS product series. These amplifiers also work with 3-phase 400 VAC power supplies and are rated between 0.5 kW and 55 kW.
MELSERVO J2 Super Devices with a Built-in Positioning Function: MR-J2S-_ CP
These amplifiers have a built-in positioning function. As an interface, these amplifiers go well with the pulse train generated from the MR-HDP01 manual pulse generator. Analog, digital I/O, RS-422 multi-drop, and CC-link are also compatible interfaces for this series.
- MR-J2S-_ CP works with 3-phase power supplies with a voltage rating of 200 VAC. These amplifiers have a power rating ranging from 0.05 to 7 kW. Motors from the HC-KFS, HC-MFS, HC-SFS, HC-LFS, HC-RFS, HA-LFS, and HC-UFS series are compatible with these amplifiers.
- MR-J2S-_ CP1 amplifiers operate with a single-phase 100 VAC power supply. Their power rating ranges from 0.05 to 0.4 kW. Motors from the HC-KFS, HC-MFS, and HC-UFS series are compatible with these amplifiers.
Devices with Built-in Program Operation Functionality: MR-J2S-_ CL
Servo solutions from this series of MELSERVO J2 Super products entertain pulse train, analog, DIO, and RS-422 interface with multi-drop interface. A positioning function is also incorporated in these amplifiers.
- MR-J2S-_ CL is connected to a three-phase power supply with a 200 VAC rating. Its power rating ranges between 0.05 and 7 kW. These amplifiers are compatible with motors from the HC-KFS, HC-MFS, HC-SFS, HC-LFS, HC-RFS, HA-LFS, and HC-UFS series.
- MR-J2S-_ CL is connected to a single phase, 100 VAC power supply. The power rating of these amplifiers ranges from 0.05 to 0.4 kW. The HC-KFS, HC-MFS, and HC-UFS series of motors are compatible with these amplifiers.
Multi-axis Servo Amplifiers: MR-J2M
Apart from the MELSERVO J2 SUPER series of products already mentioned, there are amplifiers capable of providing multi-axis control.
1. General Purpose Interface Amplifiers: MR-J2M-A
These MELSERVO J2 Super servos also work with a pulse train interface and have a maximum of eight (8) slots. A digital I/O (DIO) interface is also compatible with this series. These solutions are for controlling motor position. The MR-J2M-P8A, MR-J2M- DU, and MR-J2M-BU amplifiers belong to this multi-axis servo series. These amplifiers are powered via a 3-phase power supply of 200 VAC. The capacity of these amplifiers ranges from 0.05 and 0.75 kW. Catalog numbers HC-KFS, HC-MFS, and HC-UFS can be installed with these amplifiers to design a servo system.
2. SSCNET-compatible Multi-axis Amplifiers: MR-J2M-B
As the name indicates, these are multi-axis amplifiers that are compatible with high-speed serial buses. These amplifiers also have an SSCNET interface and have a maximum of 8 slots. A digital I/O interface can also be used. Anyhow, the MR-J2M-D01 I/O expansion unit should also be used to fulfill this purpose. Catalog numbers MR-J2M-P8B, MR-J2M- DU, and MR-J2M-BU comprise this series. A 3-phase 200 VAC power supply powers these amplifiers. Additionally, these products have a capacity range of 0.05 to 0.75 kW. The HC-KFS, HC-MFS, and HC-UFS are motor options compatible with these multi-axis amplifiers.
Motors for MELSERVO J2 Super Servo Systems
A servo system is comprised of various components which work together to form a drive system. Controllers, motors, sensors, converters, and so on are examples of these various components. Mitsubishi comes up with a range of options for each component of a system. Therefore, a variety of motors are available in varying capacities, speeds, outputs, protection levels, and much more.
1. HC-KFS Series
These are small capacity motors with either a 0.05 kW, 0.1 kW, 0.2 kW, 0.4 kW, or 0.75 kW capacity. The rated speed of this motor series is 3000 r/min (revolutions per minute), and the maximum speed is 4500 r/min. Some of the motors within this series are equipped with an electromagnetic brake. These motors are compliant with EN, UL/cUL standards. These motors are designed to have an IP55 protection rating. However, the shaft through area and connector are not protected. These are low inertia motors and can be used in general industrial applications. Applications needing a small capacity can be run with these motors, such as manufacturing semiconductor devices.
2. HC-MFS Series
These are also small capacity motors with a 3000-rpm rated speed and a 4500-rpm maximum speed. These motors also have 5 capacity options, which include 0.05 kW, 0.1 kW, 0.2 kW, 0.4 kW, and 0.75 kW. Same as the previous motor series, select motors of this series are equipped with an electromagnetic brake. These motors are EN and UL/cUL certified. These products also have an IP55 protection rating. These high-speed, low inertia motors are suitable for operations requiring high frequency, like mounters.
3. HC-SFS Series
A wide range of motors is available in this series. These motors have a protection rating of IP65. They also have medium inertia. The HC-SFS series of motors are EN, UL, and cUL certified. Like the previous motor series, select motors may have a built-in electromagnetic brake.
4. HC-LFS Series
These low-inertia motors have a rated speed is 2000 rpm, as well as a maximum speed of 3000 rpm. These motors have a capacity rating of 0.5 kW, 1.0 kW, 1.5 kW, 2.0 kW, and 3.0 kW. These motors have an IP65 protection rating and can be used for material handling applications where a high frequency is required.
5. HC-RFS Series
These medium-capacity, ultra-low inertia motors have a 3000-rpm rated speed and a 4500-rpm maximum rated speed. There are five capacity ranges available with these motors: 1.0 kW, 1.5 kW, 2.0 kW, 3.5 kW, and 5.0kW. These motors are EN, UL, and cUL certified. These are suitable for use in applications where high-frequency operation is required.
6. HA-LFS Series
Motors from this series have a medium to large capacity. These motors come in three models, each having 14 or 16 types.
- Motors with a 1000-rpm rated speed and a 1200-rpm maximum rated speed have capacity ranges of 6.0, 8.0, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 37 kW for 200V and 400V supply options.
- Motors with a 1500-rpm rated speed and a 2000-rpm maximum rated speed have capacity ranges of 7.0, 11, 15, 22, 30, and 37 kW for 200V and 400V supply options. 45 kW and 50 kW motors come in a 400V supply option.
- Motors with a 2000-rpm rated speed and a 2000-rpm maximum rated speed have capacity ranges of 5.0, 7.0, 11, 15, 22, 30, and 37 kW for 200V supply options. Motors with an 11, 15, 22, 30, 37, 45, and 55 kW capacity come in a 400V supply option.
These motors are also EN, UL, and cUL certified. All models of the HA-LFS series have an IP44 protection rating, except for the HA-LFS502 and HA-LFS702 which have an IP65 protection rating. These are low-inertia motors with low and medium-speed options. Additionally, their suitability for various applications changes.
7. HC-UFS Series
Motors belonging to this series have a flat structure. Their capacity is small to medium.
- Motors with a 2000-rpm rated speed and a 3000-rpm maximum rated speed have capacity options of 0.75, 1.5, and 2 kW.
- Motors with a 2000-rpm rated speed and a 2500-rpm maximum rated speed have capacity options of 3.5 and 5 kW.
- Motors with a 3000-rpm rated speed and a 4500-rpm maximum rated speed have capacity options of 0.1, 0.2, 0.4, and 0.75 kW.
These motors are EA, UL, and cUL certified. The protection rating of these servo motors is IP65. The flat and compact design of these motors makes them useful for places where installation space is limited.
Servo solutions from the MELSERVO J2 Super series are highly efficient. They have high performance and high functionality because of the various features incorporated in their designs.
- These servo solutions have a 17-bit high-resolution encoder, which gives 131,072 pulses per revolution. This makes the system stable even at low speeds.
- Generally, servo motors from these servo systems are equipped with an incremental encoder which requires a specific rotor point to be available at the home position. However, the user also has the choice to install an absolute encoder on the rotor shaft, which will eliminate the need for the rotor to return to the home position. This can be done by simply adding a battery to the servo amplifier without replacing the motor in the system.
- To make the control systems efficient, the MELSERVO J2 Super servo systems have high-performance CPUs.
- The use of an SSCNET interface with serial bus communication at high speeds makes managing these systems smart and consolidated. This connection makes the system quiet and free of wires, while also making it a part of a synchronized network.
- These servo systems have advanced model adaptive control, which helps the system auto-tune in real-time. In other words, upon attaching a motor, parameters are estimated by the system itself.
- These systems also have machine simulation functionality. Therefore, a user can see close to the practical behavior of a motor before replacing one.
- A user can attach peripheral equipment to this servo system easily. These peripherals include cables, connectors, control modules, and so on.